Academic Advising

There are many options for academic counseling at UCLA. We encourage you to make appointments at least once a quarter with both your Departmental Advisor (for your major) and either a College of Academic Counselor or an academic counselor in the Academic Advancement Program. This will help you be on track to graduating.

College of Academic Counseling (CAC)

College Academic Counseling Logo

The College of Academic Counseling is divided into three major components: Fulltime College Counselors & Staff, College Academic Mentors (CAM),and ASK Peer Counselors. We strongly encourage you to meet with them at least once a quarter to make sure you are on track to finish your degree(s). However, if you are in the Honors Program, Academic Advancement Program, or Athletics, we recommend you meet with the counselors in those departments instead.

Full-time College Counselors & Staff are available to meet with UCLA College students for same-day appointments Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. They can help answer questions related to the following

  • Degree requirements for graduation
  • Scholastic difficulty (academic probation / STD)
  • Program planning (double major)

College Academic Mentors (CAM)are graduate students from a variety of academic departments who advise undergraduate students (freshmen and sophomores) on

  • GE program planning
  • Choosing a major
  • Preparing for graduate and professional school (juniors and seniors)

ASK Peer Counselors are trained undergraduate advisors on UCLA policies and procedures. ASK Peer Counselors have multiple locations around campus and can offer the following services

  • Questions about college policies and deadlines
  • Petition Forms
  • Referrals

To schedule an appointment, visit Murphy Hall A-316.

UCLA Departmental Advisors

The College of Letters and Science offers a wide range of academic advising to students by the academic department. The academic advisors can help students in many of the following

  • Program Planning
  • Degree Requirements
  • Choosing/Changing Majors
  • Counseling in Scholastic Difficulty
  • Academic Options
  • Major Requirements
  • and many more

For a list of Academic Advisors and location by department, please visit the Directory.

Academic Advancement Program (AAP)

Academic Advancement Program logo

AAPis the nation's largest student diversity program. AAP promotes academic excellence and offers support and programs to more than 5,000 students who come from underrepresented backgrounds. Some of their services include academic advising, mentoring (for graduate and professional schools), collaborative workshops on a range of topics, scholarships, and summer bridge programs (for incoming freshmen and transfer students).

To access their services, you must be an AAP member. If you are not but feel like you can benefit from the services they provide, visit New Student Programs office at 1232 Campbell Hall to find out how to become a member.

The Graduate Mentoring and Research Program houses the UndocuBruins Research Program. This program gives undocumented undergraduate students an opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of a graduate mentor.

Membership is required to use their services. To find out if you are eligible for these services, visit 1232 Campbell Hall.

Community Programs Office (CPO)

Community  Programs Office Logo

The CPO houses student-initiated, student-run projects that work to promote equality in our communities. The three components are access to college, retention in college, and community service.

As part of the Student Retention Center, the Writing Success Program offers quarterly workshops, one-on-one writing support, and daily drop-in hours.

Their goal is to help ease students’ anxiety about writing and increase student confidence in their analytic and communication skills.

Location: Student Activities Center, Room 106


Everyone needs tutoring: not just those struggling academically, but also those who want to succeed in the quarter system!

A complete list of tutoring resources available for a variety of subjects can be found at UCLA College of Letters and Sciences.

For more tutoring options, contact your Departmental Advisor →

  • Advisors are usually listed under "Contacts" or "Staff" and are generally described as “Undergraduate Advisors" or "Departmental Counselors".

UCLA Tutoring Resources →

  • You may be able to find additional tutoring in the Los Angeles area for a fee through websites such as ULoop and Wyzant. These are outside organizations not connected with UCLA.
  • There are many options for academic support in Residential Life, such as College Academic Mentors, Classes on the Hill, and Undergraduate Writing Center locations on the Hill.
  • The Student Initiated Access Center is a student-run, student-initiated outreach program. Services include peer advising, skill building, and tutoring for historically underserved populations.
  • If you qualify for AAP, you have access to their peer mentoring service, which offers free tutoring to all AAP students who want to strengthen their abilities to think independently, read analytically, write well, reason quantitatively, and study effectively.
  • The Student Retention Center offers peer counseling, mentorship, and tutoring to undergraduates with academic difficulties and cultural and social transitions.
  • The UCLA Library offers a terrific online guide, one-on-one help, workshops on multiple topics such as how to write research papers and more. Check out their website for more resources and information.
  • The Undergraduate Writing Center helpsstudents with particular writing assignments and also guides students to become more effective and confident writers. They offer one-on-one appointments with peer learning facilitators, as well as walk-in appointments for more immediate questions. If you are using this resource, be sure to start early in the quarter, as the later in the term it gets, the more difficult it is to get in to see the experts.
  • Community Programs Office’s Writing Success Program: Get one-on-one writing counseling with peer support, quarterly workshops on writing, and daily drop-in hours.

Additional Tutoring Resources Outside of UCLA →

UCLA Libraries

There are eleven libraries available for students, and each offers a variety of resources and services.

  • The libraries have many different tools to help students succeed, from research tutorials to book reserves from other campuses to one-on-one appointments with librarians and reserved study spaces; these are terrific resources to utilize. Some libraries have 24-hour study space.
  • The UCLA Library Website alone provides a priceless resource for students. Also offered through the Library are workshops and tutorials regarding how to formulate a research question, conduct thorough database searches, techniques of research writing, proper citing, and more.

UCLA Undergraduate Writing Center

UCLA Writing Programs

The Undergraduate Writing Center provides individualized consultations on writing. They offer support at any point in the writing process: when students are starting a writing assignment; after they have written a draft or part of a draft; after they have gotten feedback from a professor or TA and want to begin revising; as they are polishing a paper and want help in learning how to proofread and edit their own writing.

Hours and Locations →

A61 Humanities Location
Hours: Mon.-Thurs., 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Fri., 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
50-minute appointments & walk-in appointments are available

Rieber Hall 115 Location (for on-campus residents only)
Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
25 and 50 minute appointments available & walk-in appointments subject to availability

Powell Library 228 Location
Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Walk-in service is available too

Phone: 310 206-1320

Study Abroad

Unfortunately, Undocumented students with DACA can no longer travel abroad with Advance Parole.

Besides meeting with IEO to make a plan to study abroad, we encourage you to meet with either Student Legal Services at UCLA or an immigration attorney that can answer any questions and look at your case before you leave the U.S.

Location: 1332 Murphy Hall
Telephone: 310-825-4995