Below are some of the most commonly asked questions that undocumented students have regarding academics, financial issues, campus resources, transportation, and health and wellness.

If you do not see your question listed below, do not hesitate to contact us at the USP FAQ or post on the UCLA USP Facebook. You may also want to check out the Resources Page for more information about student support services and undocumented specific concerns and questions.

Should undocumented students fill out the FAFSA?

No. Undocumented students should not file FAFSA. They should instead file the California Dream Act by the March 2nd Deadline to be considered for financial aid. You must meet the AB 540 requirements to be considered for financial aid.

Do I (or my parents – if you are not considered independent) have to file taxes before completing the California Dream Act?

No, you should submit the California Dream Act application by March 2nd. Unless you (or your parents) have filed taxes already, you may estimate you (or your parents) income (and select “will file”) based on the previous tax information. Once you (or your parents) have filed taxes, you need to go back to the application and update (and select “have filed”) the tax information.

Can an applicant skip questions on UC’s application for undergraduate admission if they are unsure of how to answer?

All students, including undocumented applicants, must thoroughly and accurately complete the entire application.

How should undocumented students respond to the citizenship question on the admissions application?

The response option “No Selection” is considered a response and is the recommended choice for undocumented applicants, including those with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The “No Selection” response will avoid being asked other questions about permanent residency and visa status that are not applicable to undocumented applicants.

How should undocumented students respond to the Social Security Question?

Applicants are required to disclose their Social Security number if they have one. If an applicant does not have a Social Security number, he/she may skip that item. Applicants with DACA status should NOT enter an Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) or an Alien Number in place of a Social Security number.

How does an undocumented student establish California residency for admissions purposes?

Being classified as a bona fide California resident for admissions purposes allows the applicant to be considered for admission using a lower minimum GPA (that is applied to California residents). You will be asked the following questions to determine residency:

  • Have you attended a California high school for three or more years and will graduate or have graduated from a California high school?
  • How long have you lived in California?
  • Is your parent or legal guardian a permanent resident of California? [if applicant is under 18]
  • Is your parent, legal guardian, spouse or registered domestic partner an employee of the University of California or a UC-affiliate national laboratory (Los Alamos National Security LLC or Lawrence Livermore National Security LLC)?

Answering yes to any of the questions will determine the student’s bona fide California resident for admissions purposes.